Saturday, September 22, 2007

Lager Delirium

Lager... birds... footie... fags....
Fags... footie... birds... lager!

Lager! Birds! Footie! Fags!

La la la la... lager delirium.

-Bad Manners

I brewed my first lager on the 10th...a Munich dunkel, to be exact. All went well, but I'm not used to the waiting. All my brews to date have been ales and I'm usually drinking them within a month of brewing them. Lager, from the German lagern ("to store"), is a beer that's fermented relatively cold and then stored for a month or more at close to freezing temperatures to clarify the beer's appearance and smooth the flavor. Mine has only been lagering since the 18th and has a way to go, yet I still peek in the lagering cooler a couple times a day. I don't know what I'm expecting to see. It's just a big tank of brown liquid. Actually, it's a big tank of brown beer. I should go check on it...

No comments: